Novakivsky, Oleksa [Novakivs’kyj], b 14 March 1872 in Slobodo-Obodivka (now Nova Obodivka), Olhopil county, Podilia gubernia, d 29 August 1935 in Lviv. (Photo: Oleksa Novakivsky; Self-portrait.) Painter and educator. He studied painting under F. Klymenko inOdesa (1888–92) and at the Cracow Academy of Fine Arts (1892–3, 1895–1900). After graduating with a gold medal he lived in Mogiła (now Nowa Huta), near Cracow, where he devoted himself to landscape painting. Having attracted Metropolitan Andrei Sheptytsky as his patron he moved to Lviv in 1913 and founded the Novakivsky Art School there in 1923. Solo exhibitions of his works were held in Cracow in 1911 and in Lviv in 1920 and 1921. Novakivsky also exhibited at shows of the Society for the Advancement of Ruthenian Art, the Society of Friends of Ukrainian Scholarship, Literature, and Art, theAssociation of Independent Ukrainian Artists, and his school. During his Cracow period he painted portraits, landscapes, still lifes, and genre scenes in a naturalistic, impressionist style (eg, Liberation , Caroling , Spring in Mogiła , and Awakening ) that resembled that of Polish contemporaries, such as Jan Stanisławski, J. Malczewski, and Stanisław Wyspiański. During his early Lviv period his style evolved under the impact of the First World War to become more symbolic and expressionist, as in works such as The War Madonna (1916), St. George’s Cathedral (1916), and Self-Caricature (1919). He did many portraits, including ones of Metropolitan Sheptytsky (Metropolitan Sheptytsky,, 1924), Moses, Prince Yaroslav the Wise, Prince Yaroslav Osmomysl, Oleksa Dovbush, andOleksander Barvinsky. In the 1920s his colors grew more vivid, and his lines more dynamic. Landscapes such as St. George’s Cathedral (1921–2), Fairy Tale about the Hutsul Region (1927), and Mount Grehit (1934), the canvas Moloch of War (1919), his self-portraits (such as Self-portrait, 1918), and portraits such as Dovbush (1931) and O. Barvinsky (1932) are fully expressionist in style. Novakivsky’s oeuvre consists of over 500 oils, many of them unfinished. A memorial museum dedicated to him and his works was opened in Lviv in 1972.
Zalozets’kyi, V. Oleksa Novakivs’kyi (Lviv 1934)
Ostrovs’kyi, V. Oleksa Novakivs’kyi (Kyiv 1964)
Oleksa Novakivs’kyi: Al’bom (Kyiv 1973)
Arofikin, V.; Leshchenko-Novakivs’ka, M. Khudozhn’o-memorial’nyi muzei Oleksy Novakivs’koho u L’vovi: Putivnyk (Lviv 1983)
Mushynka, M. ‘Nevidomyi Oleksa Novakivs’kyi,’ Suchasnist’, 1990, no. 3
Oleksa Novakivs’kyi: Al’bom (Lviv 1998)
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]